Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Sorriest Bookmark Ever

Hello Friends & Followers!  I hope you are all having a happy Thursday!  I have two creations for your viewing pleasure today.  The first is a birthday card using a set called 'Pond Pals' by Sweet & Sassy Stamps, a color palette of orange, yellow and green from Sweet n' Sassy Stamps' Digi Challenge 13 (since the froggie is also available in digi format), and a sketch from their first release party over in their new company forum on Splitcoaststampers. 
Isn't that little froggie sweet?  Both he and the party hat (from a SNSS Olivia Owl celebrations set) are colored with Copic markers and I attached an orange pom pom at the top of the hat with a glue dot.  I added a little paper piercing at the bottom reminiscent of one of the froggies hopping (Tip - when I paper pierce I put a used bubble mailer underneath, to make the motion easier, cleaner and to prevent damage to my craft table - very inexpensive and effective too!). I am also entering this little guy into Paper Playtime's 'Anything Goes' Challenge 53.


Ever envision a creation in your mind and you try and try and try to effectuate it and one thing after another goes wrong?  Well, that is what happened to me with my next creation.  My dear friend Lee was hostessing the Friday Free-for-All Challenge at Stamp TV, which was to make a bookmark.  I pictures using Gina K. Designs' cell phone image from her 'Text Messages' set to make a bookmark with a sandwich design - a layer of pink metallic paper (since Lee's favorite color is pink) with the screen and all the number buttons cut out, a layer of neon green behind it, and in-between some fibers to act as a tail for the bookmark.  Take 1 (snap!): I discover the metallic paper (which is by Best Occasions, got it on clearance from WalMart when they were nuking their scrapbooking section) is not very porous and the ink just kind of sat there on the top of the paper.  Take 2 (snap!):  I re-stamp the phone image on the pink metallic paper and hit it with the embossing gun to dry the ink and go to use this special knife by Fiskars that glides that you are supposed to glide over things and they will cut it out... yeah, ink smudged AND the phone image was too small and there was no way to hold the knife and the image... it was a mess.  Take 3 (snap!) - re-stamp the phone image a third time on pink metallic paper, heat dry it, and go to cut the number buttons out with a craft knife and proceed to slice the thing up - not to toot my own horn, but usually I have a very steady hand with the craft knife and get the results I seek, no so today however, can I blame the paper?  LOL!   Found some threads from an old Stampin' Up! fibers palette and sandwiched them between the green and metallic cardstock with dimensionals.  And here you have the sorriest little bookmark ever:
Sigh...  Good intentions.  Just to make sure this little bookmark's feelings are not hurt, I am still entering into Allsorts Challenge Week 116 - Anything but a Card.  Thanks for sticking with me, viewing my creations and reading my ramblings!
~Crafty Math Chick

4 comments:

Anita said...

Ok, You are braver than me. Usually when something doesn't work it ends up in the trash bin. I love this idea and super cute.

Jill said...

I think you have made a really cute bookmark!
Thanks for joining us at Allsorts this week and good luck!
Big hugs, Jill

Theresa said...

Meredith - your card is fabulous. I LOVE the bookmark. It's fantastic!!

Tina said...

I love this!! I am a froggy girl!! Absolutely adore it! Great colors! The sentiment makes me smile! It has cuteness written all over it!
I am a new follower!
Tina
www.myhoppyplace.blogspot.com