Hello! Hope you are enjoying the extra day off if you are lucky enough to have one. Last Monday my crafty friend Tessa
nominated me to join the Creative Blog Hop where we get to share a little big about ourselves.
Here are my answers to the hop questions:
1. What am I working on now?
Well, I just finished all my projects for Newton's Nook Designs October Release Hops (feel free to check the posts later this morning and the rest of the week for chances to win). I have to clean up the craftermath and then begin making a bunch of cards - three get well cards for three different friends recovering from accidents, three retirement cards for friends retiring from the USAF back in OKC and four birthday cards for my MIL, a friend back in GA, my cousin and my sister.
2. How does my work differ from others in my genre?
Hmm, that is a toughie. My mind tends to interpret things in a bit of a quirky way sometimes - with sentiment & image pairings and sketches. It takes me a little longer to get on board with new trends compared to some other papercrafters - if I like a technique or style or product I keep using it well after its outshown by newer trends and sometimes I need to see a LOT of samples before something new will win me over (of course, other times I am WAY too impressionable, LOL!). I tend to create with bold bright colors most often, and have been known to frequently use cardstock in retired colors & patterns because they are my favorites, retired or not. I don't personally have a flair for the vintage or shabby chic style, and a lot of other crafters excel at this. And you are going to laugh, but I find sketches and layouts with tilted pieces offputting - if they don't have a sense of 'balance' or better yet - symmetry - my mathematical mind will struggle with it.
3. Why do I create what I do?
Crafting is FUN! So I create things that make me happy or that I think will make others happy. I usually design projects that cater to my tastes, though if I am creating a card or project for someone who I know prefers certain things - particular images, colors, styles, etc. - I will cater to what I hope will make them happy instead.
4. How does my creative process work?
My mind is constantly processing (seriously, my husband frequently tells me I need to 'shut down' but I don't know how) and I pick up ideas all over - I frequently find color combinations I like from fabrics I see on clothing and bedding in department stores, and often use sketches from challenges or other cards I see on people's blogs as inspiration. I usually sketch out the card I want to make ahead of time with an idea of which images & papers I want to use ahead of time, then select them and make sure they coordinate, then I begin assembling. I tend to move things around a bit before I begin adhering them down at the end to make sure I am happy with the placement and sometimes at the end there is additional embellishments that are added here or there. I don't think I have ever sat down to create without most elements preconceived in my head first.
I know nominate these two talented crafting ladies to continue the hop next Monday:
- I recently 'met' Kimberly when she was the Guest Designer for Newton's Nook Designs' September Release and I look forward to getting to know her better. She is extremely talented and has a terrific sense of style - if you haven't seen her blog before check it out! You are in for a treat! I expect big things from Kimberly in the crafty future. :)
- An SCS 'Dirty Girl' alum and long time designer for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti (just to name a few of the numerous companies who spotted Amber's creative genius early on), Amber has a huge following in the papercrafting community - and rightly so! She's got skillz we all admire (in addition to being an absolute sweetheart who also protected and served our Country and is a terrific doggie Momma!) Make sure you stop by her blog and take a look at what she's been up to lately!
Thanks so much for stopping by, I was so honored to be asked to participate in the hop (thanks Tessa
!) and help my readers get to know me a little better. I look forward to reading Kimberly's & Amber's post next Monday!
Have a great week! (Psst - remember to check back this week for the Newton's Nook Designs Release Reveal posts! Jennifer really planned a spectacular release this month!!) ;)~ Crafty Math Chick